Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tipping Point

I think on Saturday we passed a tipping point.  Reports from pickers was that "the picking was easy," almost too easy.  The near 900-lb harvest yesterday was testimony of the conditions.  Since most of the Sunday pickers were not here yesterday, they might not have noticed, but I did as I perused the patches trying to show newbies where the better picking is (was).  Although a lot of pickers today, the harvest was only half of yesterday.  I think all the "easy" picking is over and now one has to work more to fill a bucket.  Don't get me wrong, the picking is still very good, just not like it has been for the last 2 weeks.  Multiple gallon pails of berries will probably still be a realistic expectation through this week, but I suspect that AFTER the coming weekend, the availability of berries will be noticeably less.  We will still have picking through Labor Day, but the jaw-dropping conditions are over.  Probably still probably worth the trip this week and coming weekend,  if one is looking to fill 2 or 3 pails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home